Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tofu Restaurant: 두부마을송탄점


One of the culinary surprises I experienced when eating in Asia, and Korea in particular, is that tofu is not a meat substitute. It has nothing to do with being vegetarian. It's just something people like to eat. This revelation was of great delight to me because I love tofu but I also love meat and I was always annoyed that I wasn't allowed to eat them together.  

To my delight, in Korea, when you go to a tofu restaurant it isn't just tofu. Instead, they feature homemade tofu as part of the over all landscape of the meal. The result - for us foreigners - is that tofu is re-imagined as delicious flavor clouds you can eat (or at least that's what they are in my mind) along with many other substantial flavors. It's hard to explain, but I feel like I finally understand what tofu is and why it became so popular. My taste for it has continually grown and now I crave it on a regular basis.

This particular restaurant is my favorite tofu restaurant in all of Pyeongtaek, not only because of the delicate tofu, but also because to the extensive seasonal side dishes that come with the meal. It's an affordable feast for the senses. Seriously, I eat here all the time.
Name: 두부마을송탄점
Telephone: 031-611-1321