Friday, April 1, 2016

(Tex)Mexican Food Outside Seoul

El Gitano

If there is one thing I have learned since moving to Korea it's that I can live without a lot of things, but burritos isn't one of them. To be completely honest, one of the very real reasons I've stayed put in Pyeongtaek over the years is the fact my other favorite cities in Korea don't have restaurants selling these little flavor packages.

Anjeong-ri
  • El Gitano - These are the new guys on the block and I am admittedly addicted. They are fast, delicious, consistent and delightfully TexMex all the way.
  • Casa Burrito - I've been eating here for years. Sometimes this is exactly what I want. Just like TexMex is a twist on Mexican, this is a twist on TexMex and actually is a lot like some CaliMex burritos I've had in the states. I kind of love that he burritos have fries in them.
  • La Mesa - I've heard it's improved a lot since opening, but I've not been back since my first visit. Trying to build up the nerve. EDIT: New management and chef's has now made this amazing. See my new review here.
Cheonan
  • Cantina - Delightfully fun TexMex where the party happens at night. If you are hungry, don't order the tacos even though they are delicious. This is a great place for a date or night own. Totally worth a trip to Cheonan.
Daejeon
  • La Casita (라카시타) - Haven't been here yet. Totally need to go. Putting it out there in case anyone wants to check it out.
Songtan
  • Casa Burrito - See what I wrote above.
  • Tacos Locos - These Baja style tacos are fabulous. Super fresh, very slow to make. The shop is quirky, inconsistent hours, and not open in winter. It's one of my favorite places in town and I eat here 1 -2 times a week when they are open. I can't help myself.
  • La Casa Del Mexicano  -  I have eaten here a few times. This is the most truly Mexican place in Songtan. Since the highlight of most of the dishes is the cheese and I can't eat cheese, I've never really found anything I'm excited about. If you love cheese and heavy food though, go here. You will most likely really enjoy it.
Shipped to Your Home
  • Tamales in Korea - These guys are amazing and legit. I love their tamales. You really need to make an order and keep them in your freezer as snacks.
Tacos Locos in Songtan